Empty bowls to feed empty stomachs

Empty bowls to feed empty stomachs

Ariela Rodrigues, Guest Contributor

Food. We eat it every day. For most people, this means three times a day, 21 times a week and 1,092 times a year, not counting all the snacks in between. Many students take this factor for granted in life.

People all over the world suffer from hunger and starvation, so the school’s NAHS (National Art Honor Society) has partnered up with the North Texas Food Bank and other food organizations to help address the issue.

Called the Empty Bowls Project, the National Art Honor Society made bowls to sell and raise money to help fight hunger.

“What we did is we create these bowls and when people come to the fundraiser they purchase a bowl not necessarily to eat out of but as a reminder that there’s hunger in the world,” NAHS sponsor Pernie Fallon said. “So most people purchase these bowls and put them on the shelf, or somewhere where they can see them every day and be reminded of the hunger in the world and that they need to give and share in that charity.”

The students that have participated have not only changed others lives, but they have also changed theirs for the better.

“It benefitted me in showing how I should be grateful to what I have,” junior Tracy Ha said. “To be able to share, so that people less fortunate than me could also experience what I have.”

The Empty Bowls project has impacted many of the students that participated and has helped encourage them to be charitable while also improving their art.

“My experience was really great,” senior Anuja Pai said. “I actually enjoyed interacting with other kids who also wanted to volunteer and it’s an event where I could try my hand at ceramics which I haven’t done before. It was a learning experience as well as something that was a good interacting experience I guess.”

That the project benefits the community, makes the whole thing better to those involved.  
“I found it fun, since we were doing a project that was going to be donated and auctioned to,” Ha said. “Which will then take the money, and give it to food banks were people who don’t have food, and I found that as a fulfilling experience.”