• No school Monday for MLK Jr. Day

• Frisco ISD Choir Festival at Stonebriar Community Church Saturday from 3-5 p.m.

Beach volleyball tournament kicks off summer

The 104 participants of the third annual beach volleyball tournament gathers at Craig Ranch for some friendly competition.

Kasey Harvey

Kasey Harvey

Kasey Harvey

Kasey Harvey, Sports Editor

Hitting the sand, the volleyball team is hosting its third annual beach volleyball tournament  Friday at 6:00 p.m. at Craig Ranch. With 104 participants, a full house is expected consisting of adults, students, and athletes.

“I’m just expecting it to be fun and it’ll be a little pool play and then bracket play tournament,” head volleyball coach Ui Womble said. “Everyone should get at least four matches, but I expect a lot of laughs and some good competition.”

Serving as a kick off to summer and the 2018-2019 season, the tournament is fundraiser that allows students to relax alongside their peers.

“It’s kind of a reminder that the sport is not supposed to be so stressful and is a fun thing that we do,” sophomore Emily Nickell said.

Junior Vijay Jain is playing in the tournament for the first time with proceeds going to scholarships for the class of 2019.

“Because my girlfriend is on the volleyball team,” junior Vijay Jain said. “I assume the fact that there are a lot of people participating it seems like it is a good exposure and fundraising event.”

Kasey Harvey, Editor-in-Chief

Kasey Harvey is a junior and is starting her third year of Wingspan with this being her first as editor-in-chief. She enjoys finding local hotspots whether...