• Gary Burns 5K & Fun Run is Oct. 27 at Toyota Stadium

• Board of Trustees calls for TRE and Bond Election to be on Nov. ballot

Featured Athlete: Maddie Passmore

Grade: 9 | Sport: Horseback Riding

Performing a sliding stop on her quarter horse, freshman Maddie Passmore started riding at age seven and has been to the youth world more than two times since then.

provided by Maddie Passmore

provided by Maddie Passmore

Wingspan: How long have you been horseback riding and what got you started?

Passmore: “I’ve been horseback riding for about seven years now. Well my grandma rode when she was really little and then we bought a ranch in 2012 and I’ve just always wanted to ride. Then for my sixth birthday I was surprised with my first horse and it kinda just went from there.”

Wingspan:  What fuels your passion for your sport?

Passmore: “I think being with my team and stuff, I’ve always liked being involved in a team sport event though this is very much solo sport. Being with my team and competing with Team Texas just feels really good.”

Wingspan: Who inspires you the most to succeed?

Passmore: “I’d say the second trainer I had she helped me a lot to be where I am now and I think just basically all of the coaches that I’ve had so far.”

Wingspan: How often do you train?

Passmore: “I train when I can pretty much with my other sports it’s kind of hard. But I train about three times a week Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. Saturday mornings I’m at the barn for about five hours to six hours. My horses are at two different barns so I go to one barn earlier and then go to my next barn.”

Wingspan: What is your favorite part about horseback riding?

Passmore: “I think just training because I’ve been with this horse for three years now and I’ve trained it. The horse that I’ve had since I was six, I put lead changes on her and taught her how to jump. So I think just training these horses and getting to do it myself.”

Wingspan: What do your competitions look like?

Passmore: “Well I do every discipline so I jump, I do reining which is just running in fast circles and slowing the horse down, and running and stopping. That’s based off of if your horse is a good stopper, if it can turn good, and slow down good. Then western pleasure and horsemanship; Those are going to be western classes and western saddle. One is based on the horse, pleasure is based on how the horse moves, and horsemanship is based on you and your position. Equitation and a hunters saddle are basically the same thing but in an english saddle. Showmanship and halter again is based on you and how you handle the horse.”

Wingspan: What types of horses do you own?

Passmore: “I have Quarter Horses and thoroughbreds and I currently have nine horses.”

Catie Reeves, Sports Editor

Catie Reeves is a junior and is starting her third year in Wingspan, her first as Sports Editor. She is a part of cross country and track and you will most likely find her at all of their meets. In addition to running an excessive amount of miles each day, Catie can most likely beat you in a handstand competition. Her favorite thing to order anywhere is sweet tea, which she drinks more often than water. Catie is excited to continue writing and is looking forward to what this year in Wingspan brings.

Contact Catie: [email protected]sd.org