Bands swing into spring performance

Julia Savage

Band and Orchestra members came together for All-Region on Saturday after weeks of practicing solo. By sending 16 students from campus to play alongside some of the region’s top players created a competitive environment to further enhance their skill.

Brelyn Bashrum, Guest Contributor

From small ensembles to choir singers performing with the jazz band, Saturday’s Spring Swing and   from 6-9 p.m. provides the opportunity to see the school’s band in a different light, with the $5 admission charge providing one of the largest fundraising opportunities of the year.

“This is our third annual performance,” assistant band director and jazz director Zach Anderson said. “It’s a really great mixer for incoming parents to socialize with band parents and for current band students to mingle with the incoming 8th grade students.”

There will be 50 small ensembles playing the entire evening, including performances from the school’s two jazz bands, various percussion ensembles, and the Fowler and Vandeventer Middle School Jazz bands.

“We have picked percussion ensembles that are primarily chamber groups that can pretty much run without a conductor for this,” percussion director Jonathan Jadvani said. “We’re performing Clair de Lune, which is the marimba quintet, Mudra, which is a small chamber ensemble with a solo drum, and the rag piece, Fluffy Ruffles.”

At the end of the night, the silent auction winners will collect their baskets made by the students for fundraising.

“We get a lot of our proceeds from donations and the silent auction,” Anderson said. “There are about 30 or 40 baskets that can be bid on, and there’s anything from spa baskets to Dallas Stars tickets; we even have an upright piano up for bid this year.”