500 years ago in the present

The+library+hosted+the+Renaissance+Fair+Tuesday+where+humanities+students+could+display+what+they+learned+about+the+Renaissance.+

The library hosted the Renaissance Fair Tuesday where humanities students could display what they learned about the Renaissance.

Kirthi Injeti, Guest Contributor

Humanities students put on their very own Renaissance Fair Tuesday in the library with informational booths, games, and food.

“I did Da Vinci engineering and made a model of his flying machine out of paper,” freshman Manisha Woodruff said. “And you can race different paper airplanes you make against my flying machine to see if you can out engineer Da Vinci.”

Students such as freshman Safa Ashraf took inspiration from classic carnival games such as the cup toss.

“I thought I really like those booths at the fair with the cup toss, so I decided to put together the elements of Shakespearean tragedies and the cup toss,” Ashraf said. “The rules are you have five tries to get three balls into three of the cups and if you do you have to get three elements of the Shakespearean tragedy written on the cups correct as well. For example for Romeo and Juliet you would put together feuding families, star crossed lovers, and dueling.”

Overall the Renaissance Fair was a creative and fun way for students to show off the materials they researched in class.

“In this Renaissance Fair the goal is to show off some of the achievements of the Renaissance, but since we’re students we have a low budget so we have to create these small displays that we can show to other people,” freshman Jeffrey Wang said. “Some people put on a performance, some people have a game, some people will “sell” stuff to other people, and some people just do math. So it’s just a display of the Renaissance.”