• Students and staff will be required to wear school ID badges at all times on campus

• Volleyball plays in the Northwest Tournament Thursday, Friday, and Saturday

• Summer vacation June 4-August 15

• First day of school is Thursday

Vocalists sing their best at state

Four+Redhawk+choir+students+%28Merlyn+George%2C+Jessie+Rho%2C+Megan+Guidry%2C+and+Jessica+Gordon%29+took+part+in+the+UIL+state+solo+and+ensemble+competition+in+Austin+on+Saturday+with+George%2C+Guidry%2C+and+Gordon+receiving+the+highest+score+of+1%2C+and+Rho+receiving+a+2.+
Four Redhawk choir students (Merlyn George, Jessie Rho, Megan Guidry, and Jessica Gordon) took part in the UIL state solo and ensemble competition in Austin on Saturday with George, Guidry, and Gordon receiving the highest score of 1, and Rho receiving a 2.

Bruce Stevenson

Bruce Stevenson

Kasey Harvey and Melody Tavallaee

Four choir vocalists had the opportunity to compete amongst the best in the state at All State. Qualifying only after a high score at regions, the four made the trip to UT Austin over Memorial Day weekend.

“It was a very high level of representation for Liberty High School. These girls were four out of about 12,000 students who perform in Austin over the Memorial Day holiday,” choir director Bruce Stevenson said via email. “Three of the four earned a 1 on their solo, which is the highest score a student can receive.  It means they performed their solo to a ‘Superior’ level. The fourth singer received a 2.”

Advancing for her third year in a row, junior Jessica Gordon achieved the highest rating and plans to utilize her feedback for next year.

“I got the highest score at state as well,” Gordon said. “She gave me good input based on my songs and what I can improve and stuff based on future competitions. Just apply those to other songs that I’ll compete with so I can try to get other high scores.”

Stevenson believes the students’ performance was a good testimony to the school’s choir program and represents their hard work well.

“I’m very proud of the four girls who sang at State Solo & Ensemble Contest in Austin on Saturday,” Stevenson said via email. “They represented themselves and Liberty in a very positive, accomplished way.”

Melody Tavallaee, Staff Reporter
Melody Tavallaee is a junior who joined Wingspan last year. She laughs at absolutely everything, even when it is not necessary. She has an unhealthy obsession with Shakira and can be found listening to her Whenever, Wherever. Traveling is also one of her unhealthy obsessions and she hopes to someday travel to every country on...