Filed under News

Frisco PD trains staff in active shooter seminar

Learning skills and procedures designed to keep students safe in the event of gun violence on campus was the focus of an active shooter training on Tuesday. The first of its kind training in Frisco ISD follows increased national attention on school safety after several school shootings across the country at the end of last school year.

I think it also empowered me and my fellow teachers,”

— English teacher Chad Doty

“I think the training was very helpful,” English teacher Chad Doty said. “I think it helped me imagine what a real active shooter situation would be like. I think it also empowered me and my fellow teachers to take a more active role in fleeing, or hiding, or barricading in our classroom, whatever we need to do to keep our students safe.”

The exercise was led by the Frisco Police Department with Lieutenant Mike Hagan of the SRO program and Criminal Investigations Division leading the way.

“The active threat training, we’re trying to get the staff to realize that they have all the necessary tools to secure the classrooms,” Hagan said. “We’re just opening up their eyes to it, building that confidence. This was a complete confidence builder, so hopefully they realize they can do it without any other help.”

Schools shootings have been responsible for 40 deaths and 66 injuries nationwide so far this year, surpassing the number of casualties in 2017.

“It was eye opening, what the different things that the officers told us,” math teacher Julia Ridgway said. “They told us to try to do something if we need to escape out the window, barricade the door, lock whatever. Just be more prepared, better able to prepare my students so that they’re not afraid, they’re vigilant I guess you could say.”

It was eye opening, what the different things that the officers told us,”

— math teacher Julia Ridgway

Hagan hopes that students are aware of the police department’s effort to train teachers and prepare, as he brings his training across the district.

“This is an ongoing process, we are going to train all the schools in the same method,” Hagan said. “So they know it doesn’t matter if you’re at school, your house, your business, anywhere, you can use these things anywhere. So just be open to suggestions, the teachers are very receptive to this, they did really well, secured their classrooms in different ways.”

To report any suspicious activity or threats, contact a teacher, administrator, the police or Officer Hubbard on campus. Anonymous tips can be made through the Frisco Police Mobile App, or by texting FRISCOPD and the tip to 847411.

Do you feel safe on campus?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Lucas Barr, Editor-in-chief

Lucas Barr is a junior entering his third year of newspaper. After two years as a staff reporter, he is returning as editor-in-chief. He plays the violin,...

Wade Glover, WTV Executive Producer

Wade Glover is a senior. He is serving as the Executive Producer for Wingspan TV in his fourth year of the Wingspan program. Wade is also the Student Body...

Roy Nitzan, WTV Daily Update Producer

Roy Nitzan is a junior in WTV, he is the producer who still can’t make a basket in the trash.

Contact Roy: [email protected]