Dialing for dollars

Making calls to family and friends part of band fundraiser

Julia Savage

Band and Orchestra members came together for All-Region on Saturday after weeks of practicing solo. By sending 16 students from campus to play alongside some of the region’s top players created a competitive environment to further enhance their skill.

Yael Even, Staff Reporter

Band is calling family and friends to raise money for the upcoming school year on Thursday.

“We are having a fan pledged telethon fundraiser,” associate director of bands Zack Anderson said. “It’s our largest fundraiser of the season, it’s on Thursday. We call it the Band Blitz because it’s forty minutes of all the students calling twenty contacts or more. We tell them what we experience throughout the year and we request different donations and amounts from all over the country.”

More specifically, the money will be earmarked for different things while also keeping minimizing costs for band members.

“The money is going towards general band expenses and band fees,”  senior Jessica Bemis said. “We have had the lowest band fees in the district for two years.”

Last year’s goal was to raise $30,000; however, they exceeded the amount by raising $50,000 with Anderson hoping to raise as much as last year.

Although the goal of this fundraiser is to raise more money for the band, junior Chelsea Kang believes there are other benefits.

“Not only do we get to raise money, but we also get to increase our communication and marketing skills,” Kang said.