Parents become students in new orchestra program

Heading to the Allen Performing Arts Center, 36 members of the orchestra are recording a submission for entry into the TMEA Honor String Orchestra Competition.

Lucas Barr, Editor-in-Chief

Parent’s of orchestra students are being invited to join the program’s inaugural parent orchestra. To register for the group, parents must fill out a form and background check in order to participate in the free program.   

“[My motivation] was to get parents more involved in the orchestra program and hopefully get more participation from that aspect, and allow them to see what their child does on a daily basis,” assistant orchestra director Victoria Lien said. “Part of it was also something that I’ve always wanted to do, and Ms. Blackstock had always wanted to do since we’ve seen Plano Senior High as well.”

Rehearsals begin Sept. 12 and are scheduled for every Wednesday from 6:00-7:30 p.m.

“The final goal is for the parents and students to play a side by side piece so the parents will finally get the opportunity to perform with their kid and play music with them,” Lien said. “They’ll be learning how to hold an instrument, take care of an instrument, reading music and playing in an ensemble.