• Winter break Dec. 24 - Jan. 7

• First semester ends Dec. 21

• No school Nov. 19-23 for Thanksgiving break

Rain is no match for school spirit

Red Rhythm girls take picture on the bus during the homecoming football game two hour delay.

provided by Haley Hammons

provided by Haley Hammons

Red Rhythm, marching band, football, and fans awaited the start of the homecoming game on Friday, only to be met by delays and the possible postponement of the game due to lightning.

For band, woodwind instruments were abandoned on the bus because of the light rain. However, the decisions to call it quits, was out of their hands and up to administration.

“The coaches had already determined that if we weren’t able to get that first kickoff by such and such time on the clock, they were going to cancel the game,” band director Jamie Weaver said. “We were able to give a kickoff, so we kind of knew it was going to clear out. We leave the woodwinds on the bus because the pads that are on the woodwind instruments those will get affected by the rain. Those can get ruined. But the brass instruments, you can put it under water and it’s not going to affect it.”

After nearly 90 minutes of delays, the team ran onto the field around 8:30 p.m. with kickoff coming at 9:00 p.m.

For the football team, the delay meant a lot of time in the locker room, but for Red Rhythm and the marching band, it meant more than two hours on the bus.

“We just did our own thing,” senior Haley Hammons said. “There were about 50 of us girls on one bus. So a lot of girls were just standing around talking, some were walking around. We ended up doing some bathroom breaks and split. It was really fun. We listened to music, we sang songs. It was really good. I wish it was sooner and shorter but other than that it was really good.”

Kasey Harvey, Editor-in-Chief

Kasey Harvey is a junior and is starting her third year of Wingspan with this being her first as editor-in-chief. She enjoys finding local hotspots whether...