• Taylor Swift ticket giveaway: tweet @libertywingspan using #taylorswifttickets

• Campus Club Fair Tuesday

• End of 1st 6 week grading period is Friday

• Board of Trustees calls for TRE and Bond Election to be on Nov. ballot

Board discusses STOPit, enrollment increases at monthly meeting

Student+fill+the+gym+at+one+of+the+school%27s+first+pep+rallies+of+the+year.+With+nearly+2%2C000+students+on+campus%2C+and+new+students+constantly+enrolling%2C+the+growth+on+campus+is+similar+to+what+is+being+seen+throughout+the+district.+
Student fill the gym at one of the school's first pep rallies of the year. With nearly 2,000 students on campus, and new students constantly enrolling, the growth on campus is similar to what is being seen throughout the district.

Melody Tavallaee, Managing Editor

The Frisco ISD Board of Trustees received an update at Monday’s board meeting on STOPiT, the new safety app that the district is using this school year.

Approximately 18,000 students have downloaded the app, with approximately 228 students having filed reports using the app.

“Those reports vary as far what they reported on,” FISD Chief Student Services Officer Cory McClendon said in a Community Impact article. “Students are using the [app] and we look forward to continuing using STOPit throughout this year,”

Also on Monday’s agenda, district enrollment was discussed with Frisco ISD believed to be the 4th largest district in the state. Included in the enrollment numbers, the freshmen class is the biggest in district with 5,089 9th graders enrolled, making enrollment a continuous and frequent process here on campus.

“I probably enroll one to two students a week,” registrar Brittany Fernandez said. “After Labor Day we get quite a few, after different breaks, so winter break, spring break after those quite a few come in as well.”

With online schools increasing in prevalence, Fernandez has noticed many new students transferring back to traditional school, contributing to the rising enrollment rate of the district.

“We have had a whole bunch coming in,” Fernandez said. “I’ve had a lot come in from online schools this year and I think with more and more online schools being offered, it’s more tempting for you to just not go to an actual brick and mortar class because you don’t have to wake up but then they realize it’s a lot harder than they were thinking and I’ve had a lot of new freshmen enrolled that way.”

Melody Tavallaee, Managing Editor
Melody Tavallaee is a senior who joined Wingspan during her sophomore year. One of her greatest passions is iced coffee and you can almost always find Melody chugging unhealthy amounts of iced macchiatos while daydreaming of all the places in the world she would like to travel to. Melody is also very passionate about exploring...