• Tennis wins Bi-District Championship beating McKinney North 10-4

• Gary Burns 5K & Fun Run is Oct. 27 at Toyota Stadium

• Board of Trustees calls for TRE and Bond Election to be on Nov. ballot

Filed under Campus Life, Showcase

Returning home, sophomore gets ready to say goodbye to Texas

Posing in the backyard with her family, sophomore Hagar Bash is getting ready to say goodbye to her life in the U.S. 

Moving from Israel in 2016 due to her father’s job for Elbit, an Israel-based defense electronics company, Bash and her family are moving back to Israel in two weeks.

Posing in the backyard with her family, sophomore Hagar Bash is getting ready to say goodbye to her life in the U.S. Moving from Israel in 2016 due to her father’s job for Elbit, an Israel-based defense electronics company, Bash and her family are moving back to Israel in two weeks.

provided by Hagar Bash

provided by Hagar Bash

After living in Plano for two years, sophomore Hagar Bash is getting ready to say goodbye to her life in the U.S. Moving from Israel in 2016 due to her father’s job for Elbit, an Israel-based defense electronics company, Bash and her family are moving back to Israel in two weeks.

Unsure of what to expect during her time in Texas, she appreciates her time as a Redhawk

“In Israel everything is small. The beach is closer, you feel more at home because it’s your own culture, and my family is there,”

— sophomore Hagar Bash

“I thought school was going to be hard, but it’s a pretty place,” Hagar said. “I had a very good time, it was fun. I met a lot of new friends and saw many new places. At first it was awkward but I got used to it it wasn’t hard, I just talked to people and learned from them. Once I learned English it was simpler and fun.”

Yafit Bash, Hagar’s mom, was scared at first for her, but she thinks Hagar adjusted just fine.

“At first I was scared that she would struggle to find friends and also struggle at school,” Yafit said. “But it turned out to be pretty easy for her.”

Making a new life here over the last two years, Israel will always be her home.

“In Israel everything is small,” Hagar said. “The beach is closer, you feel more at home because it’s your own culture, and my family is there.”

But her mom believes spending the last two years in Texas has helped Hagar learned a lot about herself.

“She learned not to be scared from major changes in life,” Yafit said. “As well as to be open minded about different people and cultures, to be ready to experience new adventures.”

It can take some people years to feel comfortable in a new country, but sophomore Solstice Owens is impressed with Hagar’s ability to adjust.

She learned not to be scared from major changes in life, as well as to be open minded about different people and cultures, to be ready to experience new adventures,”

— mom Yafit Bash

“It was really cool because I saw her develop new friendships with the people around her,” Owens said. “She really assimilated well. She was definitely able to speak English a little better as the year went on. I couldn’t even tell she was from Israel because she was nice to everyone around her just like any other freshman.”

Adjusting to America may have been challenging at times, but returning to Israel, is nothing more than going home for Hagar.

“It will almost be the same thing except I will have my family by my side,” she said. “My afternoons are going to be busier because I will have school until 5 almost everyday and I will have extracurriculars such as Israeli scouts. I’m going to take almost all the same classes so there isn’t a huge different except it will be in Hebrew.”