Advisory not always a matter of choice

Kasey Harvey

Mr. Mumford’s various history class’s tutorial times are posted outside his classroom along with many other teachers on campus as the school takes up mandatory tutorials.

Faith Jones, WTV Staff Reporter

The new school year has brought a new enforced rule that leads to mandatory tutorials for students that are struggling in classes.

But the goal isn’t to punish students, it’s to help them.

“We had a committee that worked to identify what exactly are some possible changes we should pursue with advisory going into year two the group was charged specifically with identifying opportunities to provide intentional support for students in help in an opportunity to help them be more successful,” associate principal Jon-Eric Ziaer said. “So in other words these struggling students or these students that may not be seeking out that opportunity for assistance during the school day during advisory they may choose to hang out in the cafe everyday 5 days a week instead of going getting the help they needed. And our committee felt that it was important that we did everything we could to help those struggling students be successful so that’s kinda where the mandatory tutorial advisory period came about and what that will look like is if a student is struggling.”      

With the new rule of mandatory tutorials there is also consequences that take place.

We’re also going to be working as the administrators to be having conversations with those students to make sure why there not attending and make sure they emphasize to them the importance of them getting into those advisory so we can get them the help they need so that ultimately they can be successful,” Ziaer said. “We tried to share that last week in our class meetings that the intent behind this is for all of our students to be as successful as they possibly can be.”

For biology teacher Richard Sabatier, the new policy will help those that need it.  

“It gets kids coming in who may be necessarily wouldn’t come in before,” Sabatier said. “It kind of holds them accountable it kind of sets aside of time for kids who are struggling to get the help they need.”