All Voices Matter: Just doing my job

In+her+weekly+column%2C+All+Voices+Matter%2C+staff+reporter+Aviance+Pritchett+gives+her+take+on+social+and+cultural+issues.+

In her weekly column, All Voices Matter, staff reporter Aviance Pritchett gives her take on social and cultural issues.

Aviance Pritchett, Staff Reporter

I was on door duty to the library during advisory. I was given simple instructions: no one comes in, and if someone comes out, they can’t come back in.

If they don’t need to talk to the teacher specifically or get their things, they can’t come in.

Simple.

Easy.

You’d think because it’s high school, and a good majority of people have jobs that require you to work with people and whatever, or at least they know that some people are just doing their jobs and have no control besides that. Right?

No.

Not for me.

Eyes were rolled, arguments were had, insults were thrown, and I really didn’t expect my patience to run out so quickly.

Sure, I did get an attitude with repeat offenders, but I did have many people who understood I was literally just doing my job.

“But there’s three free seats!”

Sorry, you can’t come in.

“How come you let them in but not me?”

Because they’re literally a library aide like me.

“I wanna speak to the librarian.”

I mean, okay, but you still can’t come in, and she’s gonna tell you the exact same thing.

I realized this must be how waitresses and pretty much anyone who works in customer service or whatever feels. I’ll only have door duty occasionally, but workers have to deal with this constantly when they’re on the clock.

We all need to understand that they don’t make the rules–they’re doing their job. They’d like for you to be happy, but alas, it’s their job, and if they break the rules solely for your benefit they could possibly lose their source of income.

I don’t have the exact same experience as they do, because if I were to lash out at people trying to get me to bend the rules for them, I’d probably just get a scolding.

Please be more understanding towards people who are, again, just doing their job. They aren’t cackling to themselves for denying you of something. They’re just trying to make a living, just like everybody else is.