New crochet club brings crafts to campus

provided by Sophia Garofalo

Depicted is a blanket crocheted by the club’s president senior Amelia Leslie for a club officer’s dog.

Maddie Aronson, Staff Reporter

From its’ ancient origins as a way of weaving bags and clothing, to a commonly considered quirky way to craft, crocheting has begun to make an appearance on campus with the brand new Crochet Club.

Senior Sophia Garofalo, the vice president and a cofounder of the crochet club, is excited for the impact it will have on the school, and is looking forward to the social aspect of the meetings.

“So far, it’s just a group of friends, and we’re seniors, so it’s kind of like forcing us to hang out because we won’t see each other in the future,” Garofalo said,” It’s gonna be really fun. We’re gonna play music, we’re gonna bring food, and anybody can come, and everybody can come even if you don’t know us founders, and the people who made the club, still come in, and I mean, enjoy some free food and music.”

Senior Amelia Leslie, the club’s president, and Garofalo are happy to bring something they love doing together to campus, with the goal of improving the school week for other students.

“Crochet club started with me and the president Amelia. She taught me how to crochet, and it was just really relaxing, and we got to kind of gossip all we were doing it,” Garofalo said. “It was just a great way that we became better friends, and we thought that we could extend that courtesy, I guess, to other students at Liberty, to really just get to know people.”

Senior Mojo Shobowale is excited to be a member of the club and thinks it will have a positive influence on the students who plan to attend.

“I feel like it will let people see that they can be good at crafts,” said Shobowale. “ It will help relieve their stress, and help them meet new people.”

Officer and senior Rylie Auchenbach is happy about the opportunity to use this club to not only make school a better place, but help the community as well.

“I hope a lot of people come. Its manly just to give people a period of stress free relaxation and a fun new hobby and to help the community,” Auchenbach said. “You can donate sweaters, and everything we make, like scarves and everything, we can donate to kids and organizations.”

Teacher sponsor Jay Sommers has positive expectations for the club, and great hopes the impact of its members.

“I mean, obviously crochet club will have a positive influence, because its members are positive people, and they exude bright personalities,” Sommers said. “I think they collectively will make not only Liberty, but the community a better place as a whole.”