Red River rivals united by softball

Academy Award winning actor and UT graduate Matthew McConaughey on hand for second year in a row

Taking+part+in+the+Red+River+Celebrity+Softball+game+for+the+second+year+in+a+row+was+Academy+Award+winning+actor+Matthew+McConaughey%2C+a+1993+Texas+graduate.+

Red River rivals united by softball

Taking part in the Red River Celebrity Softball game for the second year in a row was Academy Award winning actor Matthew McConaughey, a 1993 Texas graduate.

Sitting less than 33 miles away, the Cotton Bowl Stadium, since 1929, in Dallas has been home to one of the most intense games in college football: The Red River Showdown. A game between the University of Texas and the University of Oklahoma is known to attract more than 100,000 people to the game and the annual State Fair.

It’s something you remember for the rest of your life. You remember the good days, you remember the bad days,”

— former UT head coach Mack Brown

With kickoff set for 11:00 a.m. on Saturday, alumni, current students, and fans will crowd the stadium.

“It’s the game of the year,” former Longhorn head football coach Mack Brown said. “It’s the game of the year in college football. Guys go to Texas and guys go to OU to play this game. It’s something you remember for the rest of your life. You remember the good days, you remember the bad days. Lot of momentum because the crowds split down the middle. Everybody in the country will be turning this game at 11 o’clock on Saturday to watch. It’s just a game that matters.”

However, the rivalry began Thursday with the annual Red River Celebrity Softball Game at Dr Pepper Ballpark in Frisco.

Featuring representatives from both universities such as academy award winning actor Matthew McConaughey, country music star Toby Keith, and former MLB pitcher Roger Clemens, the match up was bound to captivate fans from both sides.

Despite the years of rivalry that has been ingrained in the players, Thursday’s softball crowd harnessed their passion for the Longhorns and Sooners for charitable causes.

There is a level of respect that goes amongst each other beyond the game. We are like brothers. When the whistle blows, we compete, afterwards we hug,”

— former OU wide receiver Juaquin Iglesias

“After the game you see it. We’re hugging, taking pictures,” former Longhorn football player Quan Cosby said. “We’re competing like crazy when it goes on but both schools are really good schools. So a lot of respect for those guys. It’s a lot of Texas guys too so they’re coming back home after college so we all hang out.”

Benefitting The Toby Keith Foundation, The Roger Clemens Foundation, and J.K. Livin Foundation, the well known hostilities between Sooners and Longhorns is replaced by friendly banter and laughs on this night.

“What we do is not easy,” former OU wide receiver Juaquin Iglesias said. “I’m sure [The UT team] training session was pretty intense, as was ours. There is a level of respect that goes amongst each other beyond the game. We are like brothers. When the whistle blows, we compete, afterwards we hug. It’s a brotherhood.”

Kasey Harvey is a junior and is starting her third year of Wingspan with this being her first as editor-in-chief. She enjoys finding local hotspots whether...