FEF presentation discusses scholarship planning

Graduation is more than 7 months away for the class of 2019, but the window to apply for scholarships from the Frisco Education Foundation opens at 10 a.m. on Friday and closes on Dec. 21.

Melody Tavallaee, Managing Editor

With a three week period for seniors to apply for scholarships from the Frisco Education Foundation from Nov. 30 to Dec. 21, representatives from FEF were on campus on Wednesday to let seniors know about the application process.

“I hope to gain experience with all the applications and stuff with college apps because I know that’ll be a big part of the future,” senior Alex Lopez said. “I also hope to gain some financial aid just in general because I know it’s going to be difficult to pay, so I think it’ll be beneficial in the long run if I have some type of starting money to aid me in college.”

Knowing there’s the opportunity to earn scholarships for activities that span further than grades is appealing to senior Brogan Gunia.

“It’s really awesome that there’s a wide variety of scholarships for different merit related things and there’s like different clubs,” Gunia said. “It’s just like recognizing the things you’re involved with in your time in high school and that it’s not just grade based.”

With only a three week window in which to apply, FEF is trying to get the word out long before the application window opens.

“We have found that whether it’s three weeks or three months that the applicants pretty much have the same trend in when they decide to submit it and complete it and start their application,” FEF Director Allison Miller said in an interview with Wingspan in Dec. 2017. “So three weeks gives them a solid deadline with a time commitment, kind of rallying them to get the application done.”

Melody Tavallaee, Managing Editor

Melody Tavallaee is a senior who joined Wingspan during her sophomore year. One of her greatest passions is iced coffee and you can almost always find...