Luck not part of the equation as volleyball wins 13th straight game

Watching+from+the+sideline%2C+members+of+the+Redhawks+watch+the+rest+of+the+team+at+Tuesdays+home+match+against+Lone+Star.+Beating+the+Rangers+3-0%2C+the+team+has+won+13+straight+games+and+leads+District+9-5A+with+a+13-1+record.+

WTV screenshot: video by Walker Shippy

Watching from the sideline, members of the Redhawks watch the rest of the team at Tuesday’s home match against Lone Star. Beating the Rangers 3-0, the team has won 13 straight games and leads District 9-5A with a 13-1 record.

Aaron Boehmer, Assistant Sports Editor

13 was anything but unlucky for the volleyball team as they won their 13th straight game Tuesday night, overpowering Lone Star 3-0 at The Nest.

“As a team during practice, we all decided to create a goal; to beat them in 3 [sets] and under 20 points,” sophomore Damiana Bova-Ford said via text. “We were all motivated because after the one set loss to Memorial, we didn’t want to do that again.”

Bova-Ford and her teammates’ goal was met as the girls came out strong in the first set, winning 25-10. Maintaining their consistency, the Redhawks came out on top in the final games, beating the Rangers without letting them exceed 20 points (25-13, 25-8).

“I think sometimes we let the other team set the speed of play,” head volleyball coach Ui Womble said via email. “Last night we took control about 10 points into game one and cut down on our errors to be successful.”