• No school Friday for Staff Development Day

• No school Feb. 18 for President's Day

Living a life well spent

Thinking+about+stress+can+sometimes+lead+to+more+stress%2C+but+as+editor-in-chief+Kasey+Harvey+writes%2C+sometimes%2C+it%27s+best+to+just+live+in+the+moment.+%0AWhether+it%27s+taking+an+easier+class%2C+or+taking+a+spur+of+the+moment+trip+to+Steak+and+Shake+with+a+coworker+%28Reedy+HS%27s+coworker+Chloe+Freeman%29%2C+Harvey+looks+to+live+a+life+well+spent.+

Living a life well spent

Thinking about stress can sometimes lead to more stress, but as editor-in-chief Kasey Harvey writes, sometimes, it's best to just live in the moment. 
Whether it's taking an easier class, or taking a spur of the moment trip to Steak and Shake with a coworker (Reedy HS's coworker Chloe Freeman), Harvey looks to live a life well spent.

Thinking about stress can sometimes lead to more stress, but as editor-in-chief Kasey Harvey writes, sometimes, it's best to just live in the moment. Whether it's taking an easier class, or taking a spur of the moment trip to Steak and Shake with a coworker (Reedy HS's coworker Chloe Freeman), Harvey looks to live a life well spent.

Olivia Brucker

Olivia Brucker

Olivia Brucker

In a world full of two drastic ends of the spectrum on a scale of happiness from overjoyed to miserable, the definition of a life well spent seems to be a topic of controversy. From wanting to be rich to living on the road, happiness comes in all shapes and sizes.

In order to live a life that is ‘well spent’ one must focus on the positive and all other aspects will fall into line. Studies have shown that positive emotions can decrease stress hormones and build emotional strength. By allowing ourselves to indulge in the feeling of success or contentment, our overall persona will reflect a more positive light.

There is the phrase ‘the grass is always greener on the other side’. So if we can never truly be content, then what’s the point? We all need to take a minute to be appreciative of what we have and not spend our time wishing for something more than what we have or we will never reach happiness.

However, by focusing on the positive aspects, we can reach the euphoria that people strive for on a daily basis. On the other hand, we do need to spend our time on something that matters to us. Whether that be through our work, family, hobbies, or friends, an outlet for all the negative feelings of stress is essential.

It is often times that we, as teenagers, hear the phrase ‘oh just wait until you’re in the real world’.

Am I the only one sitting here with frustration and a heavy heart wondering ‘it gets worse from here?’

I sit in the car or in my room feeling like I have no energy left to even get up much less crack open a textbook.

My eyes feel heavy and I hear the buzzing of words of my colleges and whatever else that will make or break my future.

The amount of homework and responsibility and the broken record of college, college, college has started to take its toll.

Well what about stress levels? Or happiness? There is only so much time in the day.

Don’t get me wrong, the future is important but it is also a cause of stress within society.

So what if we took easier classes, spent more time with family and friends, and laughed a little more each day?

What if we took all of the stress and let it go and allowed ourselves to dream about the future rather than worry?

What if we went back to a time when we let our happiness trump the negative feelings that consumed our overall being?

By doing all these things, I think we can finally grasp what we are all hoping for: A life well spent.

Kasey Harvey, Editor-in-Chief

Kasey Harvey is a junior and is starting her third year of Wingspan with this being her first as editor-in-chief. She enjoys finding local hotspots whether...