Frisco High to pioneer IB in the district

Vivek Sundararaman

Lucas Barr, Editor-in-chief

Frisco High School is hosting an informational meeting on the opportunity for current Frisco ISD eighth graders to participate in the district’s International Baccalaureate program at 6:30 p.m. in the auditorium.

“I think we have a lot of great academic programs in Frisco ISD and so the IB diploma program is going to be one additional program where students can continue to excel,” district manager of secondary schools Angela Romney said. “A lot of the more elite universities or highly selective universities look at all sorts of criteria when they admit students to college, so IB is just an additional rigorous program that can show and highlight students academic achievement.”

With courses rigorous like AP programs, IB classes will be offered beginning in the 2021-2022 school year at Frisco High for juniors and places a large emphasis on extracurriculars.

“I think it’s a great program that provides a holistic education, it gives you all of the different courses, the core courses plus the world languages,” Romney said. “Additionally, you take the extended essay, which is a college level research essay, that students participate in, as well as the [core component of] creativity, activity and service.”

Former Redhawk and current Allen High School junior Alia Shah enrolled in Allen’s IB program last year which has transformed her educational experience.

“I think IB has really set me up for the future by holding my responsible for my own actions,” Shah said. “Teachers are advised to give us assignments weeks in advance because they want us to manage our time. They also don’t give us clear cut instructions on what to do which gives us a lot creative freedom.”