Bright possibilities for football’s future

The+JV+football+team+goes+head+first+into+Centennial+fighting+a+tough+battle+with+the+final+score+being++7-3+to+Centennial.+

Shira Silberman

The JV football team goes head first into Centennial fighting a tough battle with the final score being 7-3 to Centennial.

Catie Reeves, Sports Editor

With the spotlight shining on the varsity football team, the JV and freshman are often left in the dark for most of the student body. But the foundation for future success is being built at these levels as the JV team is 4-3 with the freshmen 5-2.

It’s the first time in five years that there have been enough athletes to put together a freshman team.

“I have been very proud of our freshman and JV teams,” head football coach Chris Burtch said. “The ninth grade team has been beneficial for the program but also for the players. So many more athletes get playing time which is vital for team moral and for improvement. “

Although most of the freshmen are at least another year from playing at the varsity level, players are looking ahead and are using their success this season as fuel for the coming years.

“As a team right now, I think we will definitely be better than the varsity for 2018,” freshman Chris Marroquin said. “Hopefully people will stay in football though. We have crazy athletes here, with the work ethic we have already we can be super good as varsity players.”

On the other hand, the JV team has been making progress despite a smaller team.

“Our JV numbers are very low at this point in the season,” Burtch said. “But that means that the players that are healthy get playing time in all three phases of the game. They have done an exceptional job of playing hard, overcoming obstacles and improving each week.”

With a combined record of 9-5 on the sub-varsity level, the future of the football program could be bright for the Redhawks.

“Our expectation is always that our younger athletes will improve and take the spots of graduating seniors,” Burtch said “A goal is to fight for a playoff spot each year.”