Building hype for breast cancer awareness

In recognition of breast cancer awareness month, the Pink Out pep rally makes its annual debut on Friday with a football to follow. The assembly will features performances from Red Rhythm, cheer, and band to get students excited for the game.

Kasey Harvey, Editor-in-Chief

Several staff members will be puckering up to potentially kiss a pig as part of Friday’s Pink Out pep rally during fourth period.

In addition to recognizing sports accomplishments such as a volleyball’s district championship and cross country’s advancement to state, the pep rally is to hype students up for Friday’s football game set for 7:00 p.m. at Toyota Stadium against Heritage.

It’s also about breast cancer awareness and showing students how even small things can make a difference.

“Kids can actually see how just pennies and nickels can add up and go to a great cause and their contributions are used,” cheer coach Kandi Stevens said. “We are also going to recognize we have a cheer mom who is no longer a cancer fighter but she’s a cancer survivor. So if we can dedicate that to her, for people to realize that it touches a bunch of people’s lives.”

For band, the pep rally offers a platform to perform in a fun environment before the game.

“I think the pep rally is going to be really nice,” freshman Praneeth Akkineni said. “It’s not really pressure just having more fun that usual because pink out is a theme and people are going to get energized about it. We should educate the whole school, there’s like 2000 people here. If they’re not educated about breast cancer, they won’t do anything about it. I feel like an assembly is a really fun, interactive way to do it.”

With one out of every eight women developing breast cancer, Friday’s pep rally is worth the attention according to senior Madelyn Bryan

“I think it’s great that we’re acknowledging breast cancer whether it be a family member or a distant friend,” Bryan said via text. “And by bringing awareness it