Spooky season takes over campus

Alyssa Murphy

From witches to scarecrows, students and staff members are allowed to dress up for Halloween on Wednesday with Student Council sponsoring a costume contest with prizes going to the winners. “I certainly hope the whole school participates,” principal Ashley Rainwater said. “I don’t want to be the only person up here in costume on Halloween day.”

Superheroes, angels, and devils, are just some of the sights that are expected to fill the halls on Wednesday for Halloween.

“We want to create a positive campus culture and get students and teachers involved,” Rainwater said. “This is just one of the many things we do on campus to allow kids to have a little fun while they’re at school.”

Rainwater has high hopes for school participation and is looking forward to the unity this event will bring to the student population.

“I certainly hope the whole school participates,” Rainwater said. “I don’t want to be the only person up here in costume on Halloween day.”

Sophomore Ananda Ghoshal is grateful students have the opportunity to celebrate Halloween on campus.

“It’s nice that they’re giving the students sympathy for not being able to celebrate childhood holidays such as Halloween,” Ghoshal said. “Incorporating that into your schools as well as bringing in some aspects of school spirit.”

Being able to wear costumes doesn’t mean the school’s dress code is on hold, but Ghoshal isn’t worried about this being a problem.

“I don’t really think dress code will be an issue,” Ghoshal said. “Most costumes are covered up anyways, and I’m pretty sure that most of us have enough common sense not to go out of dress code.”

Student Council member Georgina Brown thinks allowing costumes at school could improve school spirit.

“I think it might bring school morale up, at least for the day,” Brown said. “Students can now spend even the part of Halloween spent at school dressed up. I think it’s cool that everyone now has the option to wear a little costume to school if they want.”