Time to remove the lockers

Down+almost+every+hallway+hundreds+of+lockers+sit+empty+every+day+and+guest+columnist+Sarah+Swinford+thinks+its+time+to+get+rid+of+all+the+lockers.+

Down almost every hallway hundreds of lockers sit empty every day and guest columnist Sarah Swinford thinks it’s time to get rid of all the lockers.

Sarah Swinford, Guest Contributor

The school has lockers lining every classroom hallway. Some students use these lockers, but not on a day to day basis. This leads many students to wonder why the lockers remain in place.

In middle school, students used their lockers all the time because they didn’t have the opportunity to carry backpacks in classes. However, since students can carry backpacks to class here on campus, the time in between classes that used to be spent going to lockers is now spent socializing with friends.

The simple solution: remove the lockers. In their place, the school could install showcases for student work or other educational items that would allow students to enhance their learning. Also, by removing lockers the school can save money on locker maintenance.

Although most students on campus do not use their locker, there are positives to having lockers as they can provide storage for extra school supplies or extra athletic equipment so students don’t have to carry it around all day. According to an Everyday Life post, thousands of students suffer medical problems as a result of backpacks that are too heavy.

While lockers can hold basic school necessities, backpacks offer better portability according to a Everyday Life post. Ultimately, the decision to use a locker is up to each student, but here on campus, most students don’t use their lockers making it a good time to reconsider their place on campus.