Football looking to take down Lone Star

Carter Brock

Football players line up on the sideline for a drill during practice. Larry Swinnea takes the reigns as the new head football coach this season.

Catie Reeves, Sports Editor

Coming down to the final couple of games of their season, the football team is heads to the Ford Center at The Star to take on the Lone Star Rangers Thursday at 7:00 p.m.

The Rangers enter the game fighting for the top spot in District 5-5A with a 6-2 record, just one game behind The Colony. Meanwhile, the Redhawks are still looking for their first win and enter the game at 0-8.

“Obviously they’re one of the best defenses in the district, if not the state,” assistant coach Kenny Schiumo said. “They’re holding people at around 10 points [a game], so what we’re trying to do is take advantage of some of the flaws they do have. They have a really big D line, they’re beefy up front, so we think we can attack them in the secondary so we’re looking to do that. We have a pretty talented quarterback in Mitchell Miller and some talented receivers so we just have to step up to the table and show out.”

The players know the Rangers will be one of their toughest games of the year.

“Lone Star is very talented and well coached team,” sophomore Will Glatch said. “They’ll be a very tough opponent but our mindset tonight is to play as a team and leave everything on the field no matter the outcome.”