• Winter break Dec. 24 - Jan. 7

• First semester ends Dec. 21

• No school Nov. 19-23 for Thanksgiving break

Redhawks seek revenge on Lovejoy

Going into Tuesday's game with the Bi-District championship title, Redhawks will take on one of their biggest competitors: Lovejoy. After falling to the Leopards in 2017, Redhawks look for redemption.

Carter Brock

Carter Brock

Aaron Boehmer, Sports Editor

Aiming for redemption, the volleyball team heads south to Berkner High School in a matchup all too familiar as they take on returning regional semifinal champions and one of the top 5A teams in the state, Lovejoy, on Tuesday at 7:30 p.m.

“Crazy that we are in the same spot again; we really played well in this match last year and we’ve been gearing up for the tough competition which Lovejoy provides,” head volleyball coach Ui Womble said via email. “I feel confident in the team. We are all excited to get on the court tomorrow.”  

Mutual respect is shared between the two teams, as head Lovejoy volleyball coach Jason Nicholson doesn’t see this matchup as unexpected.

“Not a surprise to be facing Liberty again,” Nicholson said via email. “When you have a good program like Frisco Liberty, the expectation is you will see them year after year. Coach Womble does a great job; two of the area’s top teams with some of the area’s best athletes should make for an exciting match.”

After falling short to the Leopards in the regional quarterfinals last year, losing is not an option for junior Jenna Wenaas, who leads the team with 501 kills during this season alone.   

“We have put in all the work and effort, now it is time to make sure those things payoff,” Wenaas said via text. “There is a higher expectation to win, and we are much more confident, so now we are preparing with the intent that we should win this game.”

Although kills earn the points, it wouldn’t be possible without assists, in which senior Ashley Pennington has made a total of 545 throughout just this season.

“We have been working really hard and this game is very personal, and I think we have a very good shot,” Pennington said via text. “I really think believing in the work we’ve done and having confidence even though we are playing such a talented team will help us get the upper hand and the outcome we want.”

Tuesday’s match puts everything on the line as there can only one to come out on top and move on to the regional semifinals.

“It’s win or go home so we all know how important this game is to our season,” Pennington said via text. “If we win this game, it’ll be huge for us and i think it’ll really boost us to continue our playoff run.”

Aaron Boehmer, Sports Editor

Aaron Boehmer is a sophomore and in his second year of working on the Wingspan staff. He is also in his second year of playing for the school’s soccer...