• No school Monday for MLK Jr. Day

• Frisco ISD Choir Festival at Stonebriar Community Church Saturday from 3-5 p.m.

Another year, another district championships for FFA PR team

Sophomore+Rachel+Wilson%2C+sophomore+Thais+Fernandez%2C+senior+Sophia+Garofalo%2C+and+sophomore+Olivia+Christian+%28left+to+right%29+claimed+first+in+the+Future+Farmers+of+America+Public+Relations+competitions+on+Tuesday+at+Anna+High+School.+

Sophomore Rachel Wilson, sophomore Thais Fernandez, senior Sophia Garofalo, and sophomore Olivia Christian (left to right) claimed first in the Future Farmers of America Public Relations competitions on Tuesday at Anna High School.

provided by Sophia Garofalo

provided by Sophia Garofalo

provided by Sophia Garofalo

Kasey Harvey, Editor-in-Chief

Four agriculture students consisting of sophomore Thais Fernandez, sophomore Olivia Christian, senior Sophia Garofalo, and sophomore Rachel Wilson made their mark in the district, claiming first in the Future Farmers of America Public Relations competitions on Tuesday at Anna High School.

“We were just going to do as best as we could because I don’t think anyone’s really expecting us to do extremely well but then we ended up getting first,” sophomore Rachel Wilson said. “Basically, it just shocked everyone.”

Winning the district championship in this event every year since 2012, the group carried on the school’s legacy.

“We’ve had a long history of success in the public relations contest,” FFA sponsor Julie Anderson said. “Our students have made it to state several years and we’ve won districts since 2012 and I wanted to get a group of girls together or group of students that were very enthusiastic, very energetic and could memorize a six to eight minute script and then answer the questions that followed. I found some girls that were willing to do that so I entered them into the contest.”

Hoping to attend A&M University in the fall, Garofalo found an interest in FFA in her senior year.

“I know they have a big agriculture field there and I thought it would look really good on an application,” Garofalo said. “I took an active role and did a speech for PR and ended up having a lot of fun making new friends and we ended up winning district which was a surprise to us because we were kind of just in it for the experience.”

Kasey Harvey, Editor-in-Chief

Kasey Harvey is a junior and is starting her third year of Wingspan with this being her first as editor-in-chief. She enjoys finding local hotspots whether...