Marching for veterans in annual celebration

Kirthi Gummadi

Lucas Barr, Editor-in-Chief

Various Redhawk groups will join with other district high schools to march in the annual Frisco Community Parade celebrating Veterans Day with this year’s theme of “Every Hero Has a Story”. The Saturday event which features local students, floats, civic organizations, youth and professional sports teams, and local businesses, begins at 10 a.m. at Toyota Stadium.

After kicking off at Toyota Stadium, the parade will head east on Main St, before turn left on North County Rd. The marches then walk west on All Stars Ave. before making a left onto Frisco St, with the route ending back at Toyota Stadium.

“I just like being able to hang out with my friends and support our program,” junior football player Anthony Ortiz said. “We say hi to the community and throw candy to the kids and just have a good time.”

Organizations with floats have the chance to win awards in the following categories: the FISD Spirit Award, the Mayor’s Award, the Best Theme Award, and the Most Creative Award. Winners will have scholarships donated to the Frisco Education Fund in their name.

“I’m looking forward to cheering and being with all of the cheerleaders and football players,” junior cheerleader Ryleigh Bates said. “We usually get on the floats and wave to everyone, it’s really fun.”