• Winter break Dec. 24 - Jan. 7

• First semester ends Dec. 21

Tip-Off Classic gets Mavericks makeover

Tip-Off Classic gets Mavericks makeover

Building the relationship between the Dallas Mavericks and Frisco ISD, high schools across the state gathered for the Dallas Mavericks first ever Fall Classic. However, the last eight years of tournaments through the annual Frisco ISD Tip-Off set the framework for success.

Official media logo

Official media logo

Official media logo

Joining forces with Frisco ISD Athletics, the Dallas Mavericks are helping to tip off the basketball season as they launch their first ever high school basketball tournament, the Dallas Mavericks Fall Classic, hosting teams across the state at various Frisco ISD high schools.

It was a great opportunity, we feel for both Dallas Mavericks and Frisco ISD and Frisco ISD Athletics to partner up and have us oversee and host the tournament,”

— Mavericks’ Youth Basketball Director Ben Hunt

“The NBA just passed some type of rule where they can start hosting and sponsoring high school tournaments and they in past have not been able to do that,” FISD Assistant Athletic Director Grace McDowell said. “And so, the Mavericks were interested in hosting one here in this area. I think the fact the Dr Pepper Arena is here in Frisco and of course with the Legends they already had sort of a connection there.”

Recently ranked as the best city to live in the United States, Mavericks’ Youth Basketball Director Ben Hunt saw an opportunity to connect with the Frisco community.

“This is our first tournament that we are running,” Hunt said. “The most important thing in our earlier discussions and meetings about hosting a high school basketball tournament was connecting with the community, connecting with high schools, obviously connecting with a school district that has a wonderful reputation and a lot of pride when it comes to athletics. So with all that being said, it was a great opportunity, we feel for both Dallas Mavericks and Frisco ISD and Frisco ISD Athletics to partner up and have us oversee and host the tournament.”

Convenience also played a factor in the development of the tournament, as the Mavericks took over the annual Frisco ISD Tip-Off Classic.

“What’s good to know is and what’s good to note is, especially from the girls’ side, it’s been a successful tournament for the last eight years, so for us to be involved and take it over, if you will, it was very important for us to get it right and in a couple of weeks we host the boys’ tournament here in Frisco at host schools’ Centennial and Independence and our championship will be at Dr Pepper Arena, as it is with the girls,” Hunt said. “So the model was in place, the plan was in place, and it’s just a matter of us now executing and delivering a great experience for all and that being a Dallas Mavericks experience.”

The opportunity for it to be associated with the Mavericks, it’s going to publicized a lot more and it’s a cool thing for the kids,”

— FISD Assistant Athletic Director Grace McDowell

Having an established tournament for the past eight years has helped draw some of the top 6A and 5A teams

“We’ve built this tournament to a position where we have some of the best talent in the state here; of course, Liberty has historically been a very good basketball program and is also state ranked, Lone Star as well.” McDowell said. “In this size of a tournament attracts some of the best teams in the state and country; Duncanville is traditionally been ranked one of the top five teams in the country for several years and this is their third or fourth year coming to our tournament. I think the level of competition, it’s great for our kids to see what kind of basketball is around the state; also great exposure, we have college coaches that come, [and] the opportunity for it to be associated with the Mavericks, it’s going to publicized a lot more and it’s a cool thing for the kids.”

Aaron Boehmer, Sports Editor

Aaron Boehmer is a sophomore and in his second year of working on the Wingspan staff. He is also in his second year of playing for the school’s soccer...