Frisco ISD pursuing independent accredited dyslexia therapist training designation

With 977 students currently enrolled in the Take Flight program within Frisco ISD, change could be soon to come as Monday's Board of Trustees meeting mentioned that with approval, FISD could be the first public school district in the nation to have an independent accredited dyslexia therapist training program.

Wade Glover

Wade Glover

Wade Glover

Frisco ISD could be on its way to becoming an independent accredited dyslexia therapist training,  making it the first public school district in the nation to have this designation.

“The district has already submitted all of the extensive documentation,” FISD Chief Academic Officer of Curriculum and Instruction Katie Kordel said at Monday’s Board of Trustees meeting. “The next step is a site visit by members of the International Multisensory Structured Language Education Council.”

Currently using the Texas Scottish Rite dyslexia program curriculum, the district serves 977 students in its dyslexia program.  

One of those is freshman Liam Nitzan who is thankful for the program.

“For me it’s not that hard,” Nitzan said. “There is a class you have to take for two years just to get caught up with everyone. I think they’re useful because if you need it read aloud or if you need help with reading something, they always help you out. If I need some, I’ll ask the teachers and they’ll be happy to help.”

With just under 1,000 students in the dyslexia program within FISD, the district is working to actively make improvements.

“[FISD] dyslexia program is one of the many ways we operationalize our mission statement of knowing students by name and need,” Kordel said at Monday’s Board of Trustees meeting. “We are committed to supporting all students to ensure their educational success.”