• Winter break Dec. 24 - Jan. 7

• First semester ends Dec. 21

Filed under News

Dak delivers, Crowe’s the winner

Dallas Cowboy’s quarterback Dak Prescott made a surprise visit to campus on Monday to history teacher Jeff Crowe’s class after winning a contest through Tom Thumb and Albertsons.

I’m just thankful to be able to give back and have such an opportunity to touch people and change people’s lives,”

— Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott

“They called me yesterday they were like ‘hey we pulled your name out for a sweepstakes,” Crowe said. “We’re going to give you $150 of free groceries and we have a couple goodies to drop off for you.’ So I gave them my work address but I had no idea that he was going to come.”

This is the second year Prescott has been doing this, and for him, it’s about giving back to his fans and the people around him.

“This is the platform that the Cowboys organization has given me and I’m just thankful to be able to have that and be the quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys and be able to give back and have such an opportunity to touch people and change people’s lives,” Prescott said in a 2017 video posted on Facebook by the Dallas Cowboys. “It’s my responsibility to do that.”

Coming off what many consider the Cowboys’ biggest win of the year, Prescott arrival came as a shock to Crowe’s class.

“It was hard to see who he was at first because there was a lot of people there and a lot of cameras,” sophomore Avery Jennings said. “Everyone was confused but then everyone started freaking out saying ‘oh my gosh it’s Dak.’”

I’m still in disbelief. I’m still in a state of shock. He seemed real down to earth,”

— history teacher Jeff Crowe

Chatting with Prescott after his surprise wore off, Crowe discovered he and the Cowboys quarterback have a mutual friend.

“I’m still in disbelief,” Crowe said. “I’m still in a state of shock. He seemed real down to earth and we were talking back and forth and we actually have a friend in common. One of my former students who went to Mississippi State is where he went to college and he’s about her age. She was a varsity volleyball player for Liberty. Her name was Paris Perrette. And he was like ‘oh yeah I know Paris real well I’ll text her tonight that I was in your classroom.”

For sophomore India Cunningham, Prescott’s visit was a first hand look at the Cowboy’s relationship with the community.

“I didn’t know it was him so I was kind of shook,” sophomore India Cunningham said. “I think he’s just really down to earth. They’re really supportive towards the Dallas community and Texas so I think it’s really great.”

Kasey Harvey, Editor-in-Chief

Kasey Harvey is a junior and is starting her third year of Wingspan with this being her first as editor-in-chief. She enjoys finding local hotspots whether...