Snapshots brings school diversity in focus

Junior Amelia Jauregui embarks on diverse photography project

Junior+Amelia+Jauregui+is+hosting+a+diversity+photoshoot+with+16+girls+on+campus.+The+idea+was+drawn+from+an+online+article.+Each+picture+will+exemplify+the+differences+that+make+each+girl+unique.+

Junior Amelia Jauregui is hosting a diversity photoshoot with 16 girls on campus. The idea was drawn from an online article. Each picture will exemplify the differences that make each girl unique.

Photo used with permission from Amelia Jauregui

Hoping to capture the school’s diversity, junior Amelia Jauregui is hosting a photoshoot of several girls from different backgrounds after school on Tuesday.

“I’m really interested in photography and I came across this thing online relating to photography,” Jauregui said. “The prompt said to take a picture that resembles diversity whether it’s people, a place, or different items defining diversity. I was really intrigued by that prompt and so I really wanted to along with it.”

I decided I wanted to include a video I want to make interviewing different types of people, different religions, races, sexualities,”

— junior Amelia Jauregui

Not only will Jauregui be taking photos, but she will also interview the models initially about who they are.

“Fortunately we live in a very diverse area which I believe is really cool and exciting because we get to learn about a lot of different cultures, but sparking from the prompt of the photo, I decided I wanted to include a video I want to make interviewing different types of people, different religions, races, sexualities,” Jauregui said. “I thought it would be interesting to hear first hand from high school students, what they have experienced this far in their life about diversity because everyone is super different in the area we live, and some people aren’t as educated on diversity, and on how to handle certain situations.”

Out of nearly 1,000 girls on campus, Jauregui narrowed it down to 16 girls.

“I picked these girls because every girl that I picked stood out to me because of their confidence,” Jauregui said. “Each girl has a sort of confidence in themselves and who they are and I just think that’s very empowering and very helpful to hear that from other students because I know for some students it’s really hard to be themselves in the world so I wanted to pick girls who would resemble confidence and diversity.”

Jauregui isn’t the only one looking forward to the shoot, junior Tasnia Ullah is thrilled to model for Jauregui.

“I was so excited when I found out,” Ullah said. “”I think this is an amazing project to highlight some of the different cultures we have in our community. “It makes me happy that I will also be able to represent my own cultures and beliefs.”

The girls are expected to come in dark washed jeans, a white shirt, and minimal makeup.

“I want everyone to be uniform in their clothes so that their natural beauty, their differences that make them unique and their diversity to really stand out,” Jauregui said. “If everyone was wearing colorful outfits, or not matching, there would be a lot more going on in the picture. So with everyone having similarities it really just accentuates the differences and the beauty of all the types of people there are.”

It makes me happy that I will also be able to represent my own cultures and beliefs.”

— junior Sarah Ajayi

Sarah Ajayi, a junior on campus, believes this project will spread out a good message about diversity.

“I think this project will show people that one’s physical qualities, race, etc. doesn’t define the,” Ajayi said. “It’s okay to be different from everyone else.”

Beyond a passion for photography, Jauregui hopes her photoshoot will help educate people on campus.

“Unfortunately we live in a world where some people aren’t as accepting of diversity and they’re not open to different things,” Jauregui said. “I really just want to use this to educate people on the topic and really just spread the word from the view of high school students who have been through life.”

Yael Even, Staff Reporter

Yael Even is a junior starting her second year of Wingspan. She enjoys spending time with friends and family. Yael also likes to keep up with her healthy...