• No school Monday for MLK Jr. Day

• Frisco ISD Choir Festival at Stonebriar Community Church Saturday from 3-5 p.m.

Sewing for service hours

Sewing for service hours

Laying out supplies after school, the One Thread Club prepares to make a quilt to donate to people in need. Being its first year, the club features way to learn how to sew as well as receive volunteer hours.

Abby Wang

Abby Wang

Abby Wang

Abby Wang, Guest Contributor

Putting sewing into a new light, One Thread is a new club that provides a easy way to give back to the community as members are making quilts to donate.

“I saw so much waste and people wanting to give back to their community,” club president Ayda Sow said. “So for the students to have the chance to see their work as well as reduce textile wastes and just improve the environment overall is what this club is about.”

One Thread allows students to meet new people who have similar views on giving back to the community.

“I do it because you are not only just giving back to the community,” participant Sofia Calderon said. “Because it also can be therapeutic.You can come, be with fun people and just have a chill time. It’s like a second family.”

Beyond making quilts, One Thread also provides members with community service hours.

“It’s really fun,” participant Elizabeth Boss said. “ You get service hours too, so that is nice.”