Competing doesn’t stop for winter break

While+most+student+will+be+relaxing+over+winter+break%2C+some+sports+teams+on+campus+will+continue+to+play+in+tournaments.+

While most student will be relaxing over winter break, some sports teams on campus will continue to play in tournaments.

Aaron Boehmer, Sports Editor

Winter break marks the end of the semester for most, but is just the beginning for athletes across campus, as the basketball and wrestling teams continue in competition, and the girls’ and boys’ soccer programs kick off their seasons.

Basketball

Tipping off the break, boys’ and girls’ basketball travel to Wakeland on Friday in hopes of extending their winning streaks against the Wolverines, with the girls beginning at 6:00 p.m. and the boys to follow at 7:15 p.m.

“I prepare for games by looking over our scouting report and memorizing the keys to win,” senior Makenzi Glover said. “The games [this week] will help prepare us going into tournament play by getting us ready to compete at a high level.”

Taking part in the Sandra Meadows Classic next week from Dec. 27-29, the Redhawks will compete against teams from around the world.  

“The teams in the tournament come from all over the nation, there’s one team from Australia and a couple other countries represented,” head girls’ basketball coach Ross Reedy said. “We are trying to pave our route of what would happen if we win here, or lose here because it determines who you will play next. We need to get as much film in our database so we can scout out opponents and give our kids the best chance to be successful.”  

Following their game against the Wolverines on Friday, the boys face off in the Dallas ISD Holiday Invitational from Dec. 27-29.

“We know what we are capable of, so it’s up to us to go out and do it,” senior Zion Richardson said. “There are going to be great games over break to help us get better as a team.”

By focusing on one opponent at a time, head boys’ basketball coach Stephen Friar believes the Redhawks will be able to improve their play.  

“The games this week were just opponents in our way pretty much. We focus on the task at hand, so it’s just going 1-0 and winning on Friday,” Friar said. “It’s just taking everything one game at a time and trying to continue to improve.”

Wrestling

Following duals against Lone Star on Thursday, the wrestling program squares off in the Santa Slam and Mrs. Claus Slam on Saturday at Coppell High.

“They are two of toughest tournaments in the Dallas metroplex during the winter,” head wrestling coach Cody Bridwell said. “There are many teams from out of state; Oklahoma, Arkansas, and some really tough teams that come in from Houston.”

Winning these tournaments will allow the Redhawks to be placed in good standings at the state qualifiers taking place in Houston from Jan. 3-6.  

“Houston is the biggest tournament we’re going to this year, so I’m nervous and just hope that I get a lot of good experience from it,” senior Savannah West said. “Going to these big tournaments is how I’m preparing for state. These tournaments aren’t about winning or losing, it’s about getting better and learning from my mistakes.”

Soccer

Kicking off their seasons over break are the soccer teams. With six games over break, head boys’ soccer coach Fred Kaiser hopes multiple scrimmages and Frisco ISD’s Dr. Pink Soccer Invitational will help prepare the Redhawks for district play beginning Jan. 11.  

“It’s always nice to win, but the games don’t have bearing on district play,” Kaiser said. “It’s just getting an idea of who can play what positions and come out injury-free. We just want to get better each game so we are ready for district the week after.”

Developing a stronger connection with teammates is a main goal that senior Nicholas Siv hopes the team will achieve over break.

“We’re hoping to figure out our best 11 and create some team chemistry,” Siv said. “We’ll get a bigger understanding of our team play and flow, as well as get up to game fitness.”

Not only will the boys head to the Toyota Soccer Center from Jan. 3-5, but also the girls’ team, as they compete against 5A and 6A schools.  

“I want to see them improve on playing with relaxed intensity,” head girls’ soccer coach Elizabeth Mokler said. “I think the tournament will help prepare them for the pace of the game at the varsity level, and show them in what areas they have strengths and which areas need more attention.”

Senior Andrea Chladny sees the tournament as a test to see where the girls are when it comes to playing on the varsity level.

“I am expecting for the team to build a chemistry and for us to figure out how to play with each other against other varsity teams,” Chladny said. “These games help us work out any kinks with the line up and shows us who works better together. I hope to gain a better idea of how the rest of the season is going to go.”