Basketball, soccer, and wrestling get wins over break

Holding+his+opponent+in+a+cradle%2C+senior+Diego+Lorenso+gets+the+pin+which+advanced+him+to+the+round+of+16+at+the+17th+annual+Cy+Fair+tournament.+Wrestling+at+195+lbs.%2C+Lorenso+won+all+five+his+matches+to+claim+the+championship+which+included+several+wins+over+top+ranked+6A+wrestlers.+

Photo used with permission from @RehawksWrestle

Holding his opponent in a cradle, senior Diego Lorenso gets the pin which advanced him to the round of 16 at the 17th annual Cy Fair tournament. Wrestling at 195 lbs., Lorenso won all five his matches to claim the championship which included several wins over top ranked 6A wrestlers.

Aaron Boehmer, Sports Editor

Winter break saw plenty of Redhawk athletes in action, with the basketball, soccer, and wrestling programs competing in games and tournaments, bringing home both success and room for improvement.

Basketball

Starting off with two wins against Wakeland on Dec. 21, the girls’ basketball team took home a 73-34 win over the Wolves, followed by the boys’ team earning a 71-45 victory.  

From there is was on to the Sandra Meadows Classic in Duncanville for the girls’ team where the Redhawks took on Pearland on Dec. 27, winning 50-28, followed by a 38-34 loss to Plano East on Dec. 28, as well as a 39-28 win against Veterans Memorial on Dec. 29.

“The Sandra Meadows is one of the biggest, most competitive tournaments in the country,” senior Makenzi Glover said. “The teams are all crazy competitive. This tournament will help us get back into district play because of the tough competition that ultimately makes us better. In addition we don’t play any season games over the break so the tournament allowed us to get touches on the ball and stay in shape.”

After one of the state’s biggest tournaments, the girls’ team returned to District 9-5A play on Jan.4 falling to Lone Star High School.

“Overall we played well,” Glover said. “We hit some lows but we worked through them together as a team.”

On the boys’ side of the court, the team started break off by competing in the Dallas ISD Holiday Invitational with a 68-61 win against Prosper, but fell to St. Mark’s with a 68-65 loss on Dec. 27, before returning to District 9-5A play with a 68-54 loss to Lone Star on Jan. 4.

“I felt terrible about the games we recently played because we are at a breaking point in the season where our team chemistry is a major issue and should’ve been resolved before the season,” senior Zion Richardson said. “We aren’t playing with any type of passion right now and it is ultimately resulting in losses.”

Both girls’ and boys’ basketball teams compete against Lebanon Trail on Tuesday, with the girls beginning at 6:00 p.m., and the boys to follow at 7:15 p.m.

“We’re approaching the game on Tuesday with extra focus,” Glover said. “After a tough loss to Lone Star, we’re all ready to get back on the court and have a good time.”

Soccer

Despite the cancellations of both the scrimmage against RL Turner and Sherman and their first Dr. Pink Invitational game against North Mesquite due to bad weather conditions, boys’ soccer faced off against various 5A and 6A schools at The Nest.

“I’m very pleased with the team’s performance,” head boys’ soccer coach Fred Kaiser said via email. “Effort level was high and I was impressed the way the players played together. As always there is room for improvement, but I believe the foundation is solid.”

The Redhawks earned three wins during the break, winning 4-1 during a scrimmage against Little Elm on Dec. 29, followed by a 6-1 tournament win over Denton High, and a final 3-2 win against Palo Duro on Jan. 5, bringing the team’s official record to 2-0.

“I hope we can shut down the defense and start keeping clean sheets, as well as scoring more, and being able to control the game,” senior Gavin Clark said. “The games were good for our team chemistry because we all got experience playing together, and figured out how we play best.”

The girls’ program also competed in the Dr. Pink Invitational, earning a 1-0 win over Del Valle on Jan. 4, followed by a 4-0 loss against Guyer, and a 2-1 loss against McKinney Boyd.

“I hope to improve on my ability to connect passes with my teammates at the top,” senior Andrea Chladny said. “And I  hope that the defense improves their ability to work with the midfield to defend.”

While district play for both programs begins Friday against Memorial, the boys take on Greenville on Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. at home.

“It is our final dress rehearsal for district play that starts Friday,” Kaiser said. “I would like to iron out a few wrinkles in our play to be ready for Friday.”

Wrestling

Competing in the Santa and Mrs. Claus Slam on Dec. 22, as well as state qualifiers in Houston from Jan. 3-6, the wrestling program found success, including senior Savannah West earning most outstanding wrestler and first place in the Mrs. Claus Slam.

“I felt really good about the tournament,” West said. “I got a revenge match on a girl from Rockwall and ended up pinning her for first. Our team did great overall and we had multiple placers.”

Senior Ashley Cook believes both tournaments have helped in preparing the team for competition this week.

“I think the [Santa and Mrs. Claus Slam] tournament allowed us to see some pretty decent competition and get some good matches in before Houston,” senior Ashley Cook said. “Both tournaments over break helped keep us conditioned and sharp coming into this week with our dual and another tough tournament in Trinity this weekend.”

For senior Diego Lorenso, the 17th annual Cy Fair Tournament was a highlight of his wrestling career. Beating several highly ranked 6A wrestlers, Lorenso went 5-0 to claim the 195 lb. championship.

“I felt invincible after I won,” Lorenso said via text. “I felt like there was no one I couldn’t beat and nothing I could not do. The victory definitely boosted my confidence. That doesn’t mean I get to take a break. But it’s nice to know my hard work has paid off.”