• No school Monday for MLK Jr. Day

• Frisco ISD Choir Festival at Stonebriar Community Church Saturday from 3-5 p.m.

4th period PE faces workout space obstacles

With the gym filled with volleyball, basketball, and various athletic groups throughout the year, fourth period PE struggles to find a place to work out. This leaves PE to switch locations almost every period to accommodate for the gym's busy schedule.

Abby Wang

Abby Wang

Abby Wang

Caleb Wai, Guest Contributor

With boys’ athletics taking place during 4th period, students that have PE at the same time are often left without a place to work out.

“4th Period PE is mainly comprised of students that did not make a sports team..basketball, soccer, baseball, track..etc.,” PE teacher Taryn Hill said via email. “It is only boys and since it is during 4th period there isn’t any availability of space (gym, turf room etc.). A lot of times we just find an empty place to go outside and take sports equipment with us and hopefully we can be active during the class.”

4th period PE often moves to a different place every class depending on the situation.

“It really sucks cause we rarely get to play basketball because the basketball team takes up the gym during the 4th period,” freshman Aaqib Salim said. “When we don’t go outside we usually go into a classroom and watch a movie or when we actually go outside we just hang out around in the tennis benches.”

However for some students, there’s the opportunity to participate in the sport they prefer.

“Our PE is not as bad as the basketball players because even if we go outside we can go to the grassfield and play soccer while the basketball people don’t have anything to do,” freshman Nabeel Saleem said. “But when we don’t go to the gym or outside we go sit in a classroom and watch movies which is really the worst part about it, we don’t get to exercise and move around like you’re supposed to in a PE class.”