Warriors slow down Redhawks in start to district soccer

Aaron Boehmer, Sports Editor

• Senior and captain Gavin Clark looks ahead at his teammates at a game against the Warriors at the Ford Center at The Star on Friday January 11th.

• Sophomore Aaron Boehmer (18) looks onto the field in a game during the Warriors on Friday, January 11th at the Ford Center at The Star.

• Freshman Cameron Wooley (13) and sophomore Jonathan Siv (10) watch the end of the Varsity girls’ soccer game at the Ford Center at The Star on Friday, January 11th.

• Senior and captain Nicholas Siv (2) passes the ball to sophomore Aaron Boehmer (18) in attempt to keep the ball away from the Warriors on Friday, January 11th at the Ford Center at The Star.

• Senior and captain Nicholas Siv (2) jumps to defend a corner kick made by the Warriors.

• Senior and captain Madison Hernandez crosses the ball in an attempt to advance the attack against the Warriors.

Taking on the Memorial Warriors Friday night at The Star, the Redhawks’ soccer programs took flight in their District 9-5A seasons with the girls falling 2-1 and the boys coming home with a close 1-1 tie.

“I felt it oscillated a lot between high and low points,” head girls’ soccer coach Elizabeth Mokler said. “We outplayed and possessed and outshot our opponent, but I think we got a little outworked and they were just able to capitalize on those few moments.”

No matter the result of the game, senior Melissa Rondinelli remains hopeful for the next chance the team has to defeat the Warriors.

“It was our first game, so we’re kind of still getting into things,” Rondinelli said. “We’re gonna play them again and next time, we can beat them.”

Following the girls’ loss, the boys’ team came close to starting district play with a win.

“We played pretty well, we had some issues finishing but other than that, most of the players played really hard,” head boys’ soccer coach Fred Kaiser said. “If we could’ve finish, we would have hammered them by four or five.”

Despite a slow start, senior Justin Parri believes the team quickly got into the flow of the match.

“I felt that we started off a little flat footed, but as the game went on we started to find our rhythm,” Parri said. “It was just unfortunate that we couldn’t find the last goal.”