Defending state champions next up for Redhawk soccer

Players race across the field at a soccer practice early in the season. Freshman Jack Abare has been nominated for VYPE DFW Public School Boys Soccer Player of the Year with voting ending Wednesday.

Aaron Boehmer, Sports Editor

Looking to defeat the returning UIL state champions, the Redhawks’ soccer programs face off against the Wakeland Wolverines on Tuesday, with the girls beginning at 7:00 p.m. at Wakeland, and the boys kicking off a home game starting at 7:30 p.m.

“We want to bring the game to them,” girls’ head coach Elizabeth Mokler said via email. “We are telling the girls to respect the opponent, but to never fear them. The goal is to outwork them and show them that Liberty is a force to be reckoned with.”

Senior Corinne Daniels, in her first year as a team captain, hopes to provide leadership to her teammates during her last high school season.

“I think the first step is putting our past behind us and starting the next game with the intensity that we ended with,” Daniels said. “We are approaching Tuesday with an attacking mindset for that is what we have been working on in practice. This is my senior year and I’m a captain, so being a leader is something I think about a lot, because of that, my goal for the season is to be as reliable as I can on and off the field for my team.”

For the boys’ team, head coach Fred Kaiser hopes the Redhawks can come out strong.

“We’ll prepare the team to come back from the tie by telling them to keep their heads down, be coachable, do what they are supposed to be doing and be ready to go from the first whistle,” Kaiser said. “We only had one day of practice where we were pretty specific to Wakeland, just based off scouting reports, talk with other coaches, and things like that.”

Hoping to bring home a win, senior Justin Parri looks to put his best foot forward in order to help the team find success.

“We really are looking for the win on Tuesday,” senior Justin Parri said. “My goal is to do whatever I can to help the team get the win; to play my absolute hardest.”