Cheer tumbles into competition

Alyssa Murphy

Alyssa Murphy and Rachael Le

Cheerleaders from varsity, JV and freshman squads have been practicing every Wednesday since late November for their first UIL competition on Saturday.

“I thought this would be a great opportunity for the girls to do something for themselves,” head cheer coach Kandy Stevens said. “We go out and we support football and basketball and all of that. And this is an opportunity to work hard for themselves and be able to compete in and put themselves in line with their, their competition.”

The team has to perform a band dance, a cheer, and the traditional LHS fight song.

“It’s our first time doing it,” sophomore Zoey Clark said. “So everyone’s kind of bonding over being first timers and it’s really fun because we the team that we make is mixed with varsity and JV and freshman. So you get to make friends with people that aren’t on your team normally.”

Cheering for all four years of her high school career, varsity captain Peyton Leonard is ready to show the more athletic side to what the team does.

“I’m excited to compete in the UIL competition this year. It’s the first year Liberty has ever gone,” Leonard said. “It’ll really show students that school cheer isn’t just a few girls in uniforms clapping their hands together, but showing them that there is that athletic aspect to it.”

• Cheerleaders from varsity, JV and freshman squads have been practicing every Wednesday since late November for their first UIL competition on January 19th.

• Before they start practice, the cheer team starts stretching.

• The team takes a break in between practice.

• Co-Captain Peyton Leonard along with head cheer coach Kandy Stevens watch as the rest of the cheerleaders practice.

• Captain Elizabeth Knight reviews the teams’ motions before the UIL competition on Saturday.

• Observing the team practice, Head cheer coach Kandy Stevens hopes the team will take the competition as an ” opportunity to work hard for themselves and be able to compete in and put themselves in line with their, their competition”

• The freshman on the team practice twirling their flags as a part of the team’s fight song.

• Along with a band dance and a cheer, the team needs to perform a fight song.

• As the UIL team is a combination of all three cheer teams, it serves as an opportunity for the team to bond.

• Head cheer coach Kandy Stevens reviews moves one last time with the team.