ID badge check results in dozens of students sent to office

Temporary IDs given to students without one

The temporary ID badge printer was used more than normal on first period Tuesday after a surprise badge check as dozens of students being sent to the front office for temporary IDs.

Lucas Barr, Editor-in-chief

A surprise student ID badge check announced over the PA system Tuesday morning in first period, led to dozens of students being sent to the front office for temporary IDs.

“The entire Liberty staff is working together to ensure that students maintain wearing their IDs throughout the entire school day,” assistant principal Jason Harris said. “We will continue to have these checks to make sure everybody is on the same page.”

Sophomore Sidney Zornig was sent to the front office to receive a temporary ID badge, one of dozens of students waiting in line.

“I think the school has a has good intentions behind the whole thing, but I think there are so many kids that don’t follow it and that it’s kind of useless to try and enforce it,” Zornig said. “This just happened to be a day where I left it at home. I wasn’t mad when it happened, because like I’ve never gotten in trouble for it before, so all that happened is I just got like this badge and some warning.”

Students caught twice without an ID badge receive lunch detention, but whatever the consequence, the policy is in place to make sure everybody on campus is supposed to be on campus.

“It helps us to identify you guys as much as I would like to know every single one of you, and I really truly would, I don’t [know all students],” Harris said. “Some of you have zero period, some of you only come half a day, and I just don’t get to know you. It’s a good way to ensure that you guys, students belong here at Liberty.”