Showalter shines as several Redhawks swim to state

Catie Reeves, Sports Editor

• Two Redhawk swimmers had the opportunity to swim for gold Tuesday and Wednesday afternoon. The two athletes had 3 top eight finishes.

• Highland Parks’ crowd screams after swimmers from their high school place first in an event at the regional swim meet on Feb. 2, 2019 at Bruce Eubanks Natatorium.

• In the warm up pool, seniors Joseph Choi and Vivek Sundararaman both swam in the 200 Medley relay on Feb. 2, 2019 at Bruce Eubanks Natatorium.

• Along with all of the other sports, swim is having to make changes to their practices. Including social distancing and increased cleaning measures.

• Coaches and teammates from around the Dallas Fort Worth Area surround the end of the pool at the region swim meet that was held on Saturday, Feb. 3 2019 at the Bruce Eubanks Natatorium.

• Sophomore Aubrey Henderson competes in the 5A TISCA Meet at the FISD Natatorium on Thursday for the dive team. She is one of only four girls from Frisco ISD that qualified, and she is aiming for a top finish.

10 were aiming for state, with 4 making it. Led by sophomore Mallory Showalter, four girls advanced to the state meet after posting times fast enough to get called up despite not qualifying automatically at the District 3-5A Regional Swim Meet at the Bruce Eubanks Natatorium Friday and Saturday.

Sophomore Mallory Showalter broke her own school record in the 50 meter freestyle, with a time of 24.65 seconds. She ended up on the third place podium for both 50m and 100m freestyle races, earning her a spot at the state swimming championships.

“We have been working hard and preparing for regionals for a long time, so I was excited and ready to race,” Showalter said. “I accomplished both of my individual goals by qualifying for state in the 50 free and 100 free. I’m proud that all of our hard work has paid off and I am excited to swim for liberty at state.”

The girls 200 freestyle relay team of Showalter, her sister, senior Abby Showalter, junior Hannah Nguyen, and sophomore Rachel Easton, placed fourth overall. Missing out by two spots for an automatic state bid, their time was fast enough to also qualify for state.

“I think our team did great,” Showalter said. “Qualifying for state is a really big accomplishment we have been working for all year.”