The importance of giving back feedback

The importance of giving back feedback

Throughout students' educational careers, they are provided with feedback from their teachers. However, Wingspan's Allie Lynn explains her opinion on the importance of doing the reverse; students giving their feedback to teachers.

Allie Lynn, Guest Contributor

Students are constantly getting feedback from teachers on papers, tests, performance in class, and much more. But, students never get a chance to give feedback to the teachers and that should change.

The worst school memory is related to a specific teacher for more than 57 percent of students. If students were able to review their teachers, maybe they could avoid these bad memories. By offering feedback to teachers, students could give honest opinions on how teachers could improve things such as the learning environment, workload, and more.

One of the biggest problems teachers struggle with is making learning fun. Only 31 percent of students say teachers present learning in an exciting way. Most students have opinions about how to make learning more fun and suggestions could be very helpful for teachers to learn how to communicate new ideas to students in more creative ways.

In a survey by USA Today, parents respect for teachers has dropped from 91 percent to 49 percent. By allowing students to give helpful feedback to teachers, some students might be able earn better grades. Therefore, parents would be able to appreciate teachers using the feedback given to them to improve their students learning.

An article by Edutopia, provides an example of a teacher that asked for feedback from students, and changed how he taught. The result: students grades dramatically increased. Now he asks for suggestions twice every year and says it is “one of his best practices”.

Parents, students, and teachers would all benefit from this idea of students giving suggestions to teachers. In the end of the day, it’s really about students learning, and with this solution, students could learn more efficiently and be more successful.