Spreading the love, one canvas at a time

Ivana Ljeskovic, WTV Staff Reporter

Students on campus had the opportunity to participate in a Valentine’s day canvas painting event and show their creativity while being useful to the community.

The cafeteria is a place where students eat lunch and talk to friends in advisory, but on Wednesday it was turned into a place where art and creativity flowed. Students painted canvases with Valentine’s Day as the theme with some of them being given to a local assisted living home where residents could enjoy the art.

I decided to sign up for canvas painting this year because I didn’t get an opportunity to do it last year,” senior Caitlin Montgomery said. “ When I did it before it was such a nice opportunity not only to get to talk to some of the other people at Liberty, but to do something nice and volunteer. I think it’s really nice to get into the Valentine’s day season and do something nice for others and spread love in the community.”

Every canvas painted earned students one volunteer hour for a maximum of up to two hours. Students also had the option to pay seven dollars to keep their art with all proceeds going to student council.

“The purpose of the event tonight was student council put together a paint along type of situation where I did a painting that had a Valentine’s day theme,” art teacher Jeb Matulich said. “It was a good way for students to have some fellowship, have some fun, and also get some service hours and donate some of their paintings to good causes.”

• Making this years’ Valentines’ day canvas painting the third to be hosted on campus, the tradition continues in hopes of not only bringing the school together, but giving members of a local nursing home a Valentines day gift. Student can either donate their painting to the nursing home, or pay 5$ to keep their piece.

• Students begin the backdrop of their Valentines themed canvases led by art teacher Jeb Matulich.

• Art teacher Jeb Matulich provided a tutorial for students. Students had the option to follow along or create their own pieces.

• Volunteers paint their canvases and each canvas earned students one volunteer hour for a maximum of up to two hours.

• The cafeteria sets up to host its annual canvas painting event brought on by Student Council on Wednesday Feb. 6, 2019.