• No school Friday for Staff Development Day

• No school Feb. 18 for President's Day

National circuit competition up next for winter guard

Varsity winter guard is taking part in Saturday’s Winter Guard International Dallas regional at Coppell High School. “I want us to leave a strong impression,” senior Charlotte Mania said via text. “I want people to look at us and be like, ‘Wow that is THE Liberty color guard.’ It doesn’t matter what score we get as long as we [the team] feels good getting off the floor.

Varsity winter guard is taking part in Saturday’s Winter Guard International Dallas regional at Coppell High School. “I want us to leave a strong impression,” senior Charlotte Mania said via text. “I want people to look at us and be like, ‘Wow that is THE Liberty color guard.’ It doesn’t matter what score we get as long as we [the team] feels good getting off the floor."

used with permission from @_LibertyGuard

Abby Wang, Guest Contributor

Going from local to national, varsity winter guard is taking part in Saturday’s Winter Guard International Dallas regional at Coppell High School.

“Groups from all over Dallas and the North Texas area will come and compete in a national circuit,” winter guard director Eric Mills said. “The biggest reason why we like to go is that they get to go on that national competitor level and experience a higher range of shows and different, higher skills. It is an opportunity to expand horizons and see what other groups are doing not just locally.”

After winning their first two competitions, the team hopes to achieve a similar outcome on Saturday.

“We have practiced a lot, trying our best not to die out or to stagnate, but to keep getting better,” sophomore Aryan Tyagi said via text. “No matter how we do, as long as we try our best we will do great. It’s exciting to see an ensemble moment coming together or an amazing catch. I really enjoy the solo toss moments where multiple people toss cool tosses. But a close second is the flag feature that can make you cry.”

The squad will be performing Lucy in references to the show I Love Lucy and the gender roles that were present during the 1950s.

“I want us to leave a strong impression,” senior Charlotte Mania said via text. “I want people to look at us and be like, ‘Wow that is THE Liberty color guard.’ It doesn’t matter what score we get as long as we [the team] feels good getting off the floor. Our show this year is not only entertaining to watch, but it is also very fun to perform.”