Therapist to answer questions at SAGA meeting

Aaron Boehmer

Sexuality and Gender Acceptance Club will be hosting guest speaker therapist Kelby Calloway at their meeting on Wednesday after school. Club members anticipate meeting with her to get a professional perspective on any questions they have.

Maddie Aronson, Staff Reporter

Helping answer questions about the LGBTQ+ community is the focus of a Sexuality and Gender Acceptance Club meeting Wednesday after school in C119, where therapist Kelby Calloway is going to speak to students.

“I have a friend who is a licensed therapist and counselor who works a lot with teenagers and members of the LGBTQ community,” club sponsor Emily Griffin said. “She is just coming in to answer questions and give information and resources to kids who are interested.”

Griffin is excited for the club to get exposure from a professional perspective.

“I’m hoping that its gives them answers to questions they have,” Griffin said. “When you Google things you don’t get a real clear answer, so this is a licensed person that specializes in this kind of thing, who can give clear answers.”

The meeting is going to be tailored to answer the questions that the students have to ask, and attendees should come prepared with inquiries.

“I think they should expect to come in with questions and they should expect resources for kind of dealing with these issues now and in college,” Griffin said. “What it’s like to be trans or gay in society now, and how to find the community.”

Vice president of the club, Garin Varjian, is excited at the prospects of the event bringing the club together.

“I think it’ll be a fun experience at least for bonding with the whole group,” Varjian said. “She could teach us some coping mechanisms things like that.”

As far as learning goes, Varjian is looking forward to what it could teach the club members.

“I hope to learn some coping mechanisms and to maybe help with dysphoria and stuff like that.” Varjian said.” Also, how to be more social or things like that in the community, or even out of it.”