Best-selling author hosts meet and greet

Seniors+Lauren+Kim+and++Tahirah+Jones+along+with+freshman+Cooper+Ragle+received+the+free+tickets+to+a+meet+and+greet+at+Independence+High+School+Thursday+at+6%3A30+p.m.+with+best-selling+author+Angie+Thomas.%0D%0A%0D%0AIn+addition+to+hosting+a+Q%26A+with+audience+members%2C+Thomas+will+also+sign+a+limited+number+of+her+books%3A+The+Hate+U+Give+and+On+the+Come+Up.+

used with permission from @redhawklibrary

Seniors Lauren Kim and Tahirah Jones along with freshman Cooper Ragle received the free tickets to a meet and greet at Independence High School Thursday at 6:30 p.m. with best-selling author Angie Thomas. In addition to hosting a Q&A with audience members, Thomas will also sign a limited number of her books: “The Hate U Give” and “On the Come Up”.

Trisha Dasgupta, Guest Contributor

Best-selling author Angie Thomas, author of The Hate You Give and On the Come Up, will be at Independence High School Thursday at 6:30 p.m. for a sold-out signing and meet and greet.

“I do intentionally write for young adult audiences,” Thomas said in VancouverSun.com article. “I think about teenagers a lot when I’m writing specifically young black girls because so often books aren’t written for them in mind.”

Every high school in Frisco ISD received tickets for Thursday’s event with campus librarian Chelsea Hamilton sponsoring a giveaway.

“So since Independence is officially hosting it, they set aside three tickets for every high school,” Hamilton said. “I decided to do a raffle so that everyone would have a fair and equitable shot if they wanted to meet her.”

Three students were chosen at random, with seniors Lauren Kim, Tahirah Jones, and freshman Cooper Ragle winning tickets.

“I’m pretty excited and I think it’s going to be interesting,” Ragle said. “There’s not a lot of big authors that I really enjoy so I think it’s going to be interesting to meet one I like.”