UIL competitors hope meet leads to district success

An+award+case+displays+the+past+accolades+of+the+campus+UIL+Academics+team+including+district+titles+and+individual+state+awards.+Redhawks+placed+7th+overall+in+this+years+5A+UIL+Region+II+meet.++

Lucas Barr

An award case displays the past accolades of the campus UIL Academics team including district titles and individual state awards. Redhawks placed 7th overall in this year’s 5A UIL Region II meet.

Lucas Barr, Editor-in-chief

More than 40 students will board buses early Saturday morning to participate in a UIL Academic Invitational meet at Prosper High School, five weeks before Frisco’s district meet at the end of March.

“The test format is the exact same, and actually districts will be here at LHS, so students can go in and do like a mock test and see how it’s going to go,” campus UIL Academic Coordinator Courtney Benson said. “Not all Frisco schools will be there, but they will compete with all the large schools and so hopefully they’ll have a pretty good showing there that would be an indication of how they might compete at regionals.”

For calculus teacher and math UIL sponsor Jennifer Rumery, preparations for the contest began at the beginning of the first semester as students will be among more than 1,000 from 1A, 4A, and 5A schools in the region competing.

“My students been taking a lot of practice tests,” Rumery said. “Prosper is just one key and we’ve been working since September, taking practice tests about every month and in January. We’ve taken a practice test every week, and then we grade them and we talked about them, and now they’re getting ready for Prosper.”

Saturday’s meet will help many campus UIL coaches narrow down their teams for the District 9-5 meet to be held on campus March 30.

“After Invitational, I’m going to pick the top four scores in each category and they will get to compete a district everyone else will just have to wait until next year,” Rumery said. “We’ll start meeting more than just once a week or maybe maybe twice a week to start just working on more recent practice tests to make sure they’re ready for district.”

Benson believes the Prosper invitational meet will make students more prepared for their district performance after beating all other Frisco schools last year.

“I think we have some strong competitors,” Benson said. “We’ve gone in years past taking people to state in computer science and science, so I’m hoping they’d be strong again and that other competitors and events step up to the plate too.”