Students find new reads with book speed dating

Mixing up his choice in reading, junior Jainam Manot participates in Speed Book Dating where he gets a glimpse of a few different books then chooses his favorite to continue reading.

Abby Wang, Guest Contributor

Valentine’s Day was weeks weeks ago but English classes have been looking to find something to love in the library.

In “Book Speed Dating”, students visit tables – each dedicated to a specific genre – then briefly get an overlook on a random book. After repeating the process four times, students check out their favorite of the four.

“I wanted a new and fun way to find independent reads,” librarian Chelsea Hamilton said. “It is a way for everybody to be able to find a book and look at genres that they don’t normally look at.”

Recently, PAP English II teachers have chosen to use this method for students’ individual reading choice to go along with Julius Caesar for their “justice” segment.

“The benefits are that it is really student-driven,” PAP English II teacher Hope Rojas said. “It isn’t me or the librarian giving them a specific book. It is a hands-on experience getting to see the books, hold them, and read the front covers. It is def more effective seeing how Ms. Hamilton set it up, engages the students, makes it seem more exciting to try out new books.”

Using this method for choosing books is helpful for students who may typically read a certain genre.

“It was more fun,” sophomore Kaeon Cho said. “I thought it was beneficial because I got to choose a genre I liked instead of being forced to read a book I had no interest in, I thought this [method] was a lot better.”