• Last day of school (May 30) is a half-day

• Last day of school is Thursday, May 30

Filed under A&E, Reviews, Showcase

Defying stereotypes, Captain Marvel delivers

The first of three Marvel movies to hit theaters in the 2019, Captain Marvel is expected to debut on more than 4,000 screens on Friday. The first Marvel superhero to feature a female lead, Captain Marvel is expected to be a key player in Avengers: Endgame which hits theaters on April 26.

Marvel Studios

Marvel Studios

Marvel Studios

Never having read the Marvel comic books growing up, I still consider myself a massive fan of the cinematic universe. Bringing beloved superheroes together to fight evil in dramatic battles has inspired and engaged a new generation of fans over the course of more than 20 movies. Each one of the hundreds of unique characters offers the fanbase a new way to connect with the Marvel universe.

Captain America reminds us of the importance of loyalty and being true to yourself. Iron Man is the epitome of why we need to stay humble. Black Panther is a perfect example of why we should uphold culture and respect tradition. Adding to this is Captain Marvel; which tells us why we should keep standing up and never listen to the naysayers.  

Flashbacks from Captain Marvel’s childhood years tell a story that she does not remember experiencing. In each, it shows her getting back on her feet after facing failure. While light-hearted, Marvel Studios’ first origin story for a female superhero featured a character who defied stereotypes and expectations on and off the screen.

Captain Marvel’s impact is similar to that of Black Panther. A movie featuring an African society that was not rising from the ashes left by white imperialism, but technologically towering above them was a powerful metaphor and experience for viewers.

With Captain Marvel, we experience the sting of failure made stronger by the criticism of individuals who never believed a woman could amount to such successes. Her time in space is a shift from the hardships and failures others anticipated for her. However, it is when she is surrounded by non-humans that she discovers that the defining characteristic of humanity is not the ability to avoid failure and the naysayers, but to never let them stop you.

The plot itself was an exciting foreshadow for the Marvel heroes we know today through a combination of easter eggs and action shots. Countless references to future events we already know to have occurred were littered throughout the movie.

What 2019 Marvel movie are you most looking forward to?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

On a cinematic note, the opening Marvel intro does feature a very special and touching tribute to the late Stan Lee who co-created most of the characters of the MCU. Before watching this film, a viewing of the first Guardians of the Galaxy is recommended. Captain Marvel says she is a Kree in the trailers for the movie, and the Kree make a significant appearance in Guardians of the Galaxy. 

And yes, just like most Marvel movies, there are two post-credits scenes, the first of which is extremely relevant to Avengers: Endgame which premieres in April.

The wait from Avengers: Infinity War may have felt like a long time, but the wait for a Marvel superhero movie featuring female lead was even longer. As a movie, statement, and the next great installment of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Captain Marvel delivers.

Wade Glover, WTV Executive Producer

Wade Glover is a senior. He is serving as the Executive Producer for Wingspan TV in his fourth year of the Wingspan program. Wade is also the Student Body...