Instruments set aside, orchestra students examine music in different way

Shreya Jagan

Orchestra student Sreenidhi Palani stands in front of the class presenting her project about the evolution of Reggae. “It’s a way for us to learn more about our orchestra as a whole and the kind of things you can do out in the real world,” senior Priya Nalliah said. “It’s a great way for us to apply music to our actual lives. We play different genres of music but doing a project like this really helps us apply it to our actual lives and see different parts of it in our community and society.”

Shreya Jagan, Guest Contributor

Transitioning into a slightly different medium, all orchestra classes are providing their take on broadening horizons with a new orchestra project due Friday that allows students to reflect on music in different ways.

“Basically, we created a series of mini projects and gave the students a choice board,” assistant orchestra director Victoria Lien said. “The students have a variety of topics from composition to researching about a certain time period or music genre that they might be interested in pursuing.”

With possibilities ranging from listening to the background music in places such as stores, to examining cultures of music, the project paves a path for students wanting to pursue music, but aren’t quite sure what they want to do yet.

“It’s a way for us to learn more about our orchestra as a whole and the kind of things you can do out in the real world,” senior Priya Nalliah said. “It’s a great way for us to apply music to our actual lives. We play different genres of music but doing a project like this really helps us apply it to our actual lives and see different parts of it in our community and society.”

While the actual project is directed toward the students, the teachers find benefits because of the project as well.

“I don’t know everything about music,” Lien said. “I’m hoping to gain some knowledge myself from the things the students come up with. Maybe they’ll be able to inspire us into trying something new. It really helps us visualize what interests them and how they’re able to be present in the classroom setting.”

The transition to something different than what usually goes on in orchestra is a welcome change of pace.

“It’s nice to do things with a little change in it sometimes,” freshman Hanl Brown said. “I enjoy the project because it lets is implement our own creativity in it. It’s something I really want to see more.”